The classic American white bread
Most days, all my children took turns turning the hand dough mixer while young. By the time the youngest were pre-teens, I purchased a dough mixer machine.
2 Regular Size Loafs
Under 3 Hours
Tip: Try using half white and half whole wheat flour sometime.
Yeast (regular, non-quick rising)
2 & 2/3
Warm water (not hot!)
6.5 — 7
White or All Purpose Flour, or “bread flour”
- ⏱ Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, measure oil in 1/4 cup measure and add to yeast/water.
- Add 1/4 cup white sugar to yeast/water.
- Add 4 cups flour and mix well with mixer or by hand.
- In separate (small) bowl, add 1 cup flour with salt, mix well, add to dough.
- ⏱ Knead for about 10 minutes, adding flour until dough is not sticky.
- ⏱ Turn edges into the middle, place dough, rounded side up into a large greased bowl, cover with towel, let rise for 1 Hour
- ⏱ After one hour, punch down and let rise for 1 Hour a second time.
- Grease and flour your loaf pans.
- After 2-hours (second rise) Preheat oven to 375°
- Half dough into two pieces in shape of loaves, pull edges to the underside and place in your prepared loaf pans (step 9).
- ⏱ Let rise until doubled.
- ⏱ Bake in preheated oven for 35—40 minutes.